Sunday, February 15, 2009

Absinthe... I like absinthe...

This is the good stuff. It is what legends are made of. It is a drink that lives in infamy for essentially no reason, but that does nothing but make it more bad ass. Oh, and it tastes really, really good.

Absinthe is one of my favorite things in this world. I like it simple. Usually I will drink it mixed with a bit of still or sparkling water on ice. While absinthe is transparent in nature (ranging from utterly clear to green), the effect known as "louche" (french for shady) occurs when chilled and mixed with water. It takes on a cloudy version of the color it started as. It is a liquor with personality. This makes my absinthe cooler than your vodka and cranberry.

The history of the liquor just makes it even better. It was banned because some idiots thought it made you hallucinate. This is not true now and wasn't true then either. I am amazed that so few people put together the fact that absinthe was a popular drink in places such as opium dens back in the day. Did nobody think that maybe, just maybe it was the drugs and not the booze that were making people crazy? Either way, they usually blame it on the wormwood or trace amounts or the chemical thujone that shows up in absinthe.

Some people can't stomach the anise flavor of absinthe, and I can accept that. It means more absinthe for me. Other people, notably those from New Orleans and whiskey lovers have a place in their heart for absinthe because of the sazerac. I love it because despite it's particularly strong and very pronounced flavor, it is very versitle to mix with. If you don't believe me, try a combination that I love: gin, mint, Peychaud's bitters, a touch of lemon juice and you guessed it, absinthe (just a touch though, because let's face it, that is some strong tasting shit).

If there is no absinthe in your favorite bar, you should probably be asking them to stock it. If they refuse, then you should probably reconsider where you whet your whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment